Physical activity and exercise can have immediate and long term health benefits such as improving your health and reducing the risk of developing diseases such as type 2 diabetes, cancer and cardiovascular disease. More importantly, it can improve your quality of life. A minimum of 30 minutes a day can allow you to enjoy benefits such as
- Reducing the risk of developing a heart disease
- Manage a better weight
- Have a low blood cholesterol level
- Lower the risk of developing type 2 diabetes
- Lower blood pressure
- Have stronger bones, muscles and joints
- Lower risk of osteoporosis
Helps you have a better healthier state of mind
Physical exercise has found to be good for depression as exercise blocks negative thoughts or distracts you from daily worries. Some benefits of exercise in having a healthier state of mind includes
- Physical activities provide an opportunity for increased social contact
- Increased fitness will help lift your mood and improve sleep patterns.
- Exercise is known to increase chemical reactions in your brain such as serotonin, endorphins and stress hormones.
Some guidelines to improve physical activities
Doing some physical exercise is better than doing none. If you currently do not do any physical exercise by start doing some will gradually help build up your health
- Be active every day
- Accumulate 150 to 300 minutes of moderate intensity physical activity or 75 to 150 minutes of vigorous intensity physical activity or a combination of both moderate and vigorous activities each week.
- Do muscle strengthening exercise at least two days each week.
Ways to increase physical activity
Regular physical activity is a must for good health and to maintain a better lifestyle. People with active jobs such as a construction worker, mail carrier reach the recommended activity level of 150 minutes. However, the majority of people don’t by committing to a routine will help you be more active in some ways you can increase physical activities are
- Taking the stairs instead of the lift
- Park farther away from the front door, so you have to walk a little bit more
- Standing burns more calories than sitting, stand or better walk while on phone calls
- Take a walk after your lunch or before lunch
- Walk to your destination, or take a cycle to your grocery store
- Take 10 minutes to walk in the morning and evening
- Plan activities with your kids or go to your kids sporting event
- Keep hand weights at your desk and do bicep and triceps while you talk on the phone
- Wear a pedometer and aim for 10,000 steps per day
- Walk through your golf game rather than taking a cart
- Hand wash your car instead of the drive-through car wash
Entitled DVA cardholders can be referred to NJF Wellness Centres for safe and clinically effective Exercise Physiology treatment by their general practitioner on a valid D904 referral form. Upon diagnosis and referral of a specific condition, DVA will pay for the clinically necessary treatments.