Proper nutrition is the key to having a healthy life, and there are many ways one can improve health one such way is eating a balanced diet, containing vitamins and minerals such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains and some source of protein. Some reasons you might want to improve your health include avoiding health problems, high blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. If you have a family history of diabetes, cancer, heart disease, osteoporosis if you are overweight. Even if you want to make some lifestyle changes, quit smoking or lose some weight always taking small steps towards it makes a big difference.
The path to improve your health
Eating habits are hard to change, but taking small steps towards it is a good idea. If you have conditions such as Kidney disease, lactose intolerance, or celiac disease, you can benefit from a diet that you dietician prescribes you. You do not have to do all at once, small changes can improve your health over time, some changes include
- Eating you meat baked, grilled or broiled, take the skin out of your chicken and turkey, Eat fish at least once a week.
- Reduce intake of butter, sour cream, baked potatoes, salad dressing, if you want to you can use the non-fat version of this in your diet
- Eat fruits and vegetables as your snack or with your meals
- Read the labels on your foods before buying them
- Do not eat fat sized portions of any food
- Stay hydrated, Beverages which has zero or low calories such as water or tea is highly advisable. Do not drink fruit juice, energy drinks, flavoured milk, sweet ice tea as they have a lot of added sugars, which is unhealthy.
Things to consider
A mix of balanced nutrition and regular exercise is good for health as it helps you lose or maintain weight. Try to set realistic goals. Ask your doctor or dietician to help you make a diet which can be a part of your daily life rather than following a diet that you have seen on the internet.
- There is no magic potion for losing weight quickly, as some short term diet will help you lose weight, but it is hard to keep up with and could be unhealthy for you.
- Proper nutrition includes eating a variety of fruits and vegetables every day as your body benefits from eating whole foods. And try not to take vitamins until and unless prescribed by your doctor.
- Before trying a new diet or a new product, read about it carefully. Advertisements can be misleading as they are paid for. Try talking to the doctor about its side effects, problems, or gained weight.